Monday, February 04, 2008

Rubber Bands and Bobby Pins

I wrote a poem.





Rubber bands and bobby pins
On the nightstand
Wrapped around a wrist
Bent between the teeth
They're so good at holding things together
In place
Support hose
Girdles
Bra and panties
So good at holding up and together
Up and together
So much nicer than things may be
Left to their own devices
Left to hang down and out
Like me
Scrunchies and cunningly placed chopsticks
Elastic loops by the gross
The hairband
The ponytail
The braid
The bun
And here I am
Looking at these tiny strongholds
In a campaign against down and out
Here I am
On the bed
Looking at them
On the nightstand
Trying to hold things together



2 Comments:

Blogger Raelynn Ann said...

It's a very lovely poem. The chopsticks seem a little out of place since they're not stretchy. Then again, it's reference is understood. I never thought of looking at life through the perspective of rubber bands, thank you for that.

1:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do like your poetic trademark of taking the trivial and mundane things of daily living, and using them to pull out a deeper, sometimes darker emotional undertone.
I am one that tends to like the uber-dramatic stuff, dripping with intensity and passion. But what you seem to do in your work is to take an emotion, and elaborate on it with the mundane, by hinting and teasing, without ever saying what you want to say outright. But, it still gets said nonetheless.
It's that indirect, kind of secretive wordplay that is the enchantment of your particular style.
Bravo!

9:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home