Ode to That Bird
SO... I wrote a poem just now, sitting in my backyard and enjoying the dawning of a new day. I haven't done any poetry in quite some time, and I thought (as it's been so long since I've posted anything here, with you fine people) that I would share my experience with you. Please, enjoy.

Hey
Hey bird in my backyard
Don't land sideways on the back wall there.
On the rough brick
And stucco wall.
Don't.
Only lizards do that
And spiders
Not birds.
Hey
Hey bird
How do you think it makes me feel
Huh?
How do you think I feel
Seeing a bird all sideways
Like that
Not flying sideways
Like in the process of doing a barrel roll
(which, bird, would be cool)
But just chilling
Kicking it on my wall
Sideways.
How do you think I feel
When for a
brief
horrifying
moment
I think
there's a tarantula
on the wall
And begin compiling the
quickest
possible
strategy
for moving out?
How about gravity bird?
How about velcro feet?
Are there not enough trees for you
Around here?
Are there not enough
roofs
cacti
power lines
Around here?
Bird
Is there not enough top of the wall
Around here?
Hey bird
Bird.
Birds don't do that.
God damn it bird

3 Comments:
There seems to be some sort of reoccurring schizophrenic theme going on in the past month. I'm reading all about Nijinsky who was a paranoid schizophrenic, Robby is seeing people in his class that don't exist, and now there is a poor bird who's having poetic obscenities yelled at him.
There is only one conclusion:
The world has gone crazy...
and I liked you're Beat poetry!
Oh, there you are, Max. I thought maybe you died.
Your poem is funny. endearing. quirky. like you.
I love the low key, sparcely- worded criticism. i can even hear the tone of voice you use while saying it, "which, bird, would be cool"...
me liked it.
I really enjoyed this. I actually almost giggled.
Post a Comment
<< Home