Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Don't worry, it's coup!

I cheated slightly by posting with Sean's account, only because the popular majority doesn't mind me being on the blog.

I started this assemblage book last year as a project. What started as a little fun turned into a creative diary for what was going on in my life. Since we seem to be including personal material I thought I would share.

Each page was it's own entry except for Erotas - Frantically in love, which was a series. For the love of time I didn't scan every page, some entries have 5-30 regular pages between and there were a few more drawings (including a secret compartment that holds a skeleton key).

----------------------*****---------------------

----------------------*****---------------------



THE END.

-Rauta Tanwënya

3 Comments:

Blogger DeadLanguage said...

I gave these a quick once-over before looking at them each in turn, and the first one that caught my eye was the double-page sketch with all the red-brown around it. Erotas. I clicked on it first and, halfway through the thought of "man I wish I could sketch like that" came the gleefull, giggling, "HEY I KNOW THAT GUY!"

I like this a lot. When you say "assemblage book," is that just the name you've given this or is it a medium I have just encountered for the first time. Either or, your execution of it here battles strongly with my reluctance to plagiarize another's medium and make my own.

Suffice to say, I like this very much. I would love to see some kind of cataloging of the process that went into making it. Some kind of page-by-page of someone going through the steps.

I wonder sincerely if "Speak to Me, Dance with Me" was ever as interesting as you've made it here.

Following that train of thought, I've always considered written work to be the object of the art, while acting or music were performances and couldn't be contained by the page (even through scripts and sheet music, while "readings" are hardly a classification of written work). Yet, here, I think it can be safely said that your assemblage is no longer the book it once was. Not changed, but gone. You have removed the novel from the book, I guess you could say.

Jimi Hendrix and Keith Moon had discussions about the merits of creation vs. destruction in art. I think this would make an interesting piece of evidence in that trial.

7:31 AM  
Blogger Raelynn Ann said...

Thank you for the compliments!
It's interesting that Erotas has consistently been everyone's favorite since I made it.

"Assemblage book" refers to the medium of Assemblage art, the 3 dimensional combining and altering of found objects. The only reason this counts as assemblage and not just collage is because the book it's self is apart of the work.

The original book was "Speak to Me, Dance with Me" an auto biography of Agnes De Mille. I gave it the title "Agapo" because it truly became a journal of examples of various loves in my life.

Some of the images were planned, however most of them were sketched "in the moment" either sitting in church, in class or after being a bit emotional. I always carried both the book, water color pencils and a little film container with water in it so I could add color regardless of where I was.
I used acrylic with the pages that have have images glued on them.

Each page took anywhere from 5 min to 30 min to complete. I really wanted this book to be an exercise in communicating a message while not just covering up De Mille's words, but finding them and making them my own. Like the assemblage of the visual art, the words were a type of "found poetry".

It's interesting that Jimi Hendrix and Keith Moon would have had that discussion since the major movement of Assemblage art was in the 60s!

9:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rae,

This is really beautiful. I love so many things sbout it, i don't know where to start! I love your choice of media, and the broad spectrum of feelings that the pieces showcase. I'm a big fan of the casual-looking, off the cuff pencil sketches that don't show tons of prep and planning. I love that you synthesize your own drawings with clippings, photos, and other paintings- it's so extremely personal, and so universal at the same time.
I can't wait to see more of your stuff =)

4:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home