In The Beginning
In Norse Mythology, before the world began lay a vast expanse of darkness and chaos. In the far North was Niflheim, the land of Ice and Fog, and in the Southernmost depths was Muspelheim, land of Heat and Flame. Ginungagap, the great chasm, yawned between the two worlds. And in the middle of it, as the sparks rose from the flaming sword of Surt, ruler of Muspelheim, the Northerly ice began to melt and steam, forming a great foggy cloud. The cloud swirled about, giving birth to the giant Ymer and a great cow named Audhumbla, from whom the world began. Audhumbla feeds Ymer with her milk, and starts licking the salty ice, which she forms into the god Buri. And then, like Ymer has giants growing from his armpit sweat, and then he begets trolls with his feet... but i wasn't prepared to paint all that...
Anyway, here it is - my interpretation of the lands of Ice and Fire before the beginning of the world. The media is acrylic paint.

3 Comments:
After catching so many of my students plagiarising their essays this past week (they don't even bother hiding it most of the time), it does my heart good to see something so creative. I really like Norse mythology and I think you captured, in your painting, the essence of the people as seen in those myths. That essence is dual natures of harsh ruggedness and on the other a fiery passion for life.
I was just enjoying the picture when I realized that it could mean more than just a visual representation of an old story. I like the depth to it that I found.
Things like this are what makes me not want to give up on teaching...to try and make sure that there is still some hope for the future.
I especially enjoy niffleheim (sp? Not going back to check... so lazy...). Why does the paper seem folded in the middle? At first I thought it was painted onto a bown paper bag and that it was going to open up to reveal something in the center.
It's two pieces of paper, Max. I didn't have one that was long enough =P No artistic rhyme or reason to that choice, just plain, stupid necessity.
Hmmmm...paper bag...now THERE'S and idea!
Post a Comment
<< Home