Muchaholic
This was a painting done a year and a half ago. I've yet to give it a name, I find most of my paintings lack names. I would prefer to not infer what I think it's about.

If you're really wondering, there is a tub, a girl and poster image of another girl superimposed on top. It's a shame the image isn't larger, a friend is housing this work for me and the image they took was rather small. Oh well!

If you're really wondering, there is a tub, a girl and poster image of another girl superimposed on top. It's a shame the image isn't larger, a friend is housing this work for me and the image they took was rather small. Oh well!

4 Comments:
Rae - this is BEAUTIFUL! It's one of my favorites of yours so far.
I'm a big Mucha fan. i love your rendition because it's true to his style, but adds your own flare for mixing images, and superimposing to create new depth and meaning.
At first i thought the image was tilted, and that the photograph had cut off some of your work. but then i saw the edges of the paper in the pic and realized you had painted it askew on purpose. I connected with that on two levels -for one, I appreciate the unconventional statement that it makes, i frequently find myself writing diagonally on pieces of lined paper. And i also like the feeling that there is so much more to the picture beyond what we physically see. We're only ever seeing a piece. A picture is just a window into a whole other world.
I am sorry to say I'm not familiar with this... "Mucha"... yet after seeing this I have to say I'm very interested to become so.
Of course I love the composition. It's very dynamic (which is one of those meaningless criticism words that roughly translates to "excitingly nifty."), and I would agree with Anna in that the different orientations of different aspects of the work make you constantly re-examine the piece. It never stops being interesting to look at, I think that's what I like the most about it.
-M
Like Maximus, I'm unfamiliar with the influence for this piece. But then, I'm kind of a Philistine.
It speaks highly of your work that it makes me *want* to go find out what helped inspire this. Yaaaay Google!
*pause*
Oh THAT guy!
Wow. So before I Googled the name, I was looking at the picture and thinking, "this reminds me of those beautiful flowery art nouveau goddess-type paintings that I really like." And... lo and behold.
You're right that it would be nice to have a slightly larger image--but what I'm able to see, I really like.
Post a Comment
<< Home