Anna- I'm going to steal Max's job and be perhaps a little too critical for a minute about the title. It took me a couple of minutes to realize that it would probably be said, mer-matron, not mer-ma-tron. It made me think of a Transformer for a second.
My own goofiness aside, I really like the detail and shading. I especially liked the egg(?) that the mermatron is holding. I liked that I couldn't tell if it was a live egg for an expected descendant or a cameo in remembrance of a lost one. I also like how the fin on her back, because of the angle and curves to it, make it look like she has wings, and consequently more pure in her love of her child. Well done as usual.
That's so funny, b/c it made me think of Transformers too =P I really wasn't satisfied with the name, but had to put something. A simple dash will solve the problem. She is indeed holding her own mer-child, and after your comment about it possibly being a cameo, i realized i hadn't done anything to make the egg look 3D, it's flat-looking and unshaded, which i didn't intend. So, i will try to fix that. And i'm glad you noticed the wing-like fin! Thanks for your comments, they were very helpful!
Anna- I would disagree about the lack of shading on the egg. I think what you need, and it may still be shading, is something to let the viewer know whether the 3d effect is supposed to be looking into something, so the 3d heads from out to in on the circle, or if it is a relief on the outside of something, like a cameo, in which case the 3d would head out to in. Does that make sense? If this helps, are we looking at the top of a dome, or the inside of a contact lense?
I hate that we can't edit these commemnts. I mean that the 3d effect one way heads from the outside to the center, and the other way heads from the center to the outside.
I'm catching up on commenting, and as I read through the previous criticisms I was shocked to find that Malleus knows me so well he would know exactly what I was going to comment on. I will say that I didn't really get it until I read the "mer-matron" breakdown, and that now it makes perfect sense to me. How about "Mermama?"
I like her head a lot. And her crustacean tail. I always enjoy watching nature specials on crocodilians and insects and watching them with their young as they don't seem like the warm, comforting things we expect mothers to be. Yet, everything's got to have a mother. The concept here really does it for me. It stirs portions of my brain that I like to keep from settling.
6 Comments:
Anna-
I'm going to steal Max's job and be perhaps a little too critical for a minute about the title. It took me a couple of minutes to realize that it would probably be said, mer-matron, not mer-ma-tron. It made me think of a Transformer for a second.
My own goofiness aside, I really like the detail and shading. I especially liked the egg(?) that the mermatron is holding. I liked that I couldn't tell if it was a live egg for an expected descendant or a cameo in remembrance of a lost one. I also like how the fin on her back, because of the angle and curves to it, make it look like she has wings, and consequently more pure in her love of her child. Well done as usual.
That's so funny, b/c it made me think of Transformers too =P I really wasn't satisfied with the name, but had to put something. A simple dash will solve the problem. She is indeed holding her own mer-child, and after your comment about it possibly being a cameo, i realized i hadn't done anything to make the egg look 3D, it's flat-looking and unshaded, which i didn't intend. So, i will try to fix that. And i'm glad you noticed the wing-like fin! Thanks for your comments, they were very helpful!
Anna-
I would disagree about the lack of shading on the egg. I think what you need, and it may still be shading, is something to let the viewer know whether the 3d effect is supposed to be looking into something, so the 3d heads from out to in on the circle, or if it is a relief on the outside of something, like a cameo, in which case the 3d would head out to in. Does that make sense? If this helps, are we looking at the top of a dome, or the inside of a contact lense?
I hate that we can't edit these commemnts. I mean that the 3d effect one way heads from the outside to the center, and the other way heads from the center to the outside.
I'm catching up on commenting, and as I read through the previous criticisms I was shocked to find that Malleus knows me so well he would know exactly what I was going to comment on. I will say that I didn't really get it until I read the "mer-matron" breakdown, and that now it makes perfect sense to me. How about "Mermama?"
I like her head a lot. And her crustacean tail. I always enjoy watching nature specials on crocodilians and insects and watching them with their young as they don't seem like the warm, comforting things we expect mothers to be. Yet, everything's got to have a mother. The concept here really does it for me. It stirs portions of my brain that I like to keep from settling.
max, you crack me up.
Post a Comment
<< Home