A Reason To Celebrate
Here I am being cynical, angry, and sloppy.
***
powered by ODEO
The old year shows up drunk on New Year's Eve
Deserving our respect, we've all agreed,
So we'll take a cup of kindness yet
And drink it down, and go to bed,
Pretending not to hear him when he leaves
Champagne and kisses, and favors for friends,
Everybody loves a reason to celebrate
The leftover laughter, the games that don't end
And heart-shaped confetti adorning the plate
Here's to you, may you never run out of excuses
Here's to me, may I never grow tired of charades
Here's to whoever's under the table in pieces
For having the decency not to rain on the parade
I knew this girl, a little out of tune
She used to swear she wasn't in the room
We let her drink a little more
Then tucked her in, and closed the door
And we know that she'll feel better very soon
Champagne and kisses, and favors for friends,
Everybody loves a reason to celebrate
The leftover laughter, the games that don't end
And heart-shaped confetti adorning the plate
Here's to you, may you never run out of excuses
Here's to me, may I never grow tired of charades
Here's to whoever's under the table in pieces
For having the decency not to rain on the parade
I still mark off your birthday in October
So once a year I call you when I'm sober
It only took one breath, my dear
I hope you get your wish this year
But you can call back when the party's over
Champagne and kisses, and favors for friends,
Everybody loves a reason to celebrate
The leftover laughter, the games that don't end
And heart-shaped confetti adorning the plate
Here's to you, may you never run out of excuses
Here's to me, may I never grow tired of charades
Here's to whoever's under the table in pieces
For having the decency not to rain on the parade
***
powered by ODEO
The old year shows up drunk on New Year's Eve
Deserving our respect, we've all agreed,
So we'll take a cup of kindness yet
And drink it down, and go to bed,
Pretending not to hear him when he leaves
Champagne and kisses, and favors for friends,
Everybody loves a reason to celebrate
The leftover laughter, the games that don't end
And heart-shaped confetti adorning the plate
Here's to you, may you never run out of excuses
Here's to me, may I never grow tired of charades
Here's to whoever's under the table in pieces
For having the decency not to rain on the parade
I knew this girl, a little out of tune
She used to swear she wasn't in the room
We let her drink a little more
Then tucked her in, and closed the door
And we know that she'll feel better very soon
Champagne and kisses, and favors for friends,
Everybody loves a reason to celebrate
The leftover laughter, the games that don't end
And heart-shaped confetti adorning the plate
Here's to you, may you never run out of excuses
Here's to me, may I never grow tired of charades
Here's to whoever's under the table in pieces
For having the decency not to rain on the parade
I still mark off your birthday in October
So once a year I call you when I'm sober
It only took one breath, my dear
I hope you get your wish this year
But you can call back when the party's over
Champagne and kisses, and favors for friends,
Everybody loves a reason to celebrate
The leftover laughter, the games that don't end
And heart-shaped confetti adorning the plate
Here's to you, may you never run out of excuses
Here's to me, may I never grow tired of charades
Here's to whoever's under the table in pieces
For having the decency not to rain on the parade

2 Comments:
The song won't plaay for me, Summer, though I think the lyrics are lovely.
Summer, you sure know how to create a mood... I can feel the "i'm so sick of this shit" that's in between each line, but doesn't have enough energy to shout itself out. You definitely have the craft of creating feelings without explicitly describing them
Post a Comment
<< Home