Thursday, October 08, 2009

I am Nijinsky.

Here are a couple of pages from a book I made called "I am Nijinsky". It was taken from Nijinsky's diary which begins with his childhood and follows his transition into schizophrenia. I read the whole diary then wrote my short story in the spirit to fit it into 10 pages. However, the last page was a direct excerpt from his diary. Each page represents two years of his dancing career (which lasted 20 years from school to his last performance). The images were created by a printmaking method using oil of wintergreen. With each illustration I tried to depict his schizophrenia progression. Click the images to be able to read them.

The intro:

8th page:

Last page:

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i dont think there's anything more tragic than losing one's mind.

I don't know anything about this man, or his story. But your disjointed phrasing of his "thoughts" does convey his mental instabilities and fears.

I particularly liked how you incorporated an "intact" portrait of Nijinsky on the 1st page, mirroring his wholeness of mind, and and "shattered" portrait of the same face at the end, when his mind had succumbed to illness.

well done, and moving.

1:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home