Monday, September 22, 2008

Dying Art

I came up with this yesterday and today. Reading all the myths I have been lately has seemed to steep me in poetry and ideas for writing, which I love. Here is one idea:

There once was a time when tales were told
For the sake of entertainment.
Now all the stories lie dead and cold
In the gutters or on the pavement.

This fledgling world has lost its soul
And become a bloody business.
Avarice is now its only goal;
Children encouraged to be selfish.

Heroes once walked the earth
Living in tales, songs, and deeds.
Their examples declared man's worth
In sagas anyone could heed.

Modern times sickly and pale,
When compared with former glory.
A shadow, once hearty and hale,
Dying from lack of myth and story.

Art itself has betrayed us all
It's subject no longer humanity.
For art's own sake, it's bitter gall,
Deprived of strength and dignity.

Art's intellectual discourse
Poisoned this planet's mind.
Making things worse and worse
No longer instructing the spirit of mankind.

1 Comments:

Blogger Raelynn Ann said...

Wow, I got so busy that I had lost sight of A Terrible Sound. Today in class we briefly discussed "What is art" the Art for art's sake vs. art for profit case.

It's interesting that the day I return to reading the blog it should be about the same subject.

I agree that we have lost sight of art and that art did it to itself. Before the 20th century you were an artist or a craftsmen or a merchant. Artists were hired by someone rich to perform their talents through image and word and they passed on the legends. Craftsmen worked with their hands creating stuffs from metal, wood, fiber and such to sell in a store. Obviously the merchant's job was to sell any of these things. Those worlds have blended so that one has a hard time distinguishing them and being at ease with any of it.

Who knows if the tides will change.

10:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home