Beltane
If Max can post teeth-grinding torture, I guess I can get away with a little blush-inducing erotica. I wrote this last year.
* * *
Night has come, on a gust of wet spring wind. The clouds rush off to carry the rain away, and stars emerge to pour their drops of fire on the Beltane bales. You are at my side as their earthward sparks ignite.
Your hand reaches for mine in the gathering dark, and I thrill beyond reason to that heat from the lightest joining of our fingers.
The glow spreads in warm rivulets, coursing through the tangled thicket of branches piled high on the hillside. You squeeze my hand, and heat rushes upward as the bonfire blooms.
From a hundred paces I feel it climb my neck and settle, burning, in my cheek. You move closer. My tongue trips in my mouth, until I wish I were more than a shy, bedraggled girl at a country bonfire. I would whisper a gift from the muses, and praise you with poetry; I would tell my esteem for this subtle command you keep of the heat in my blood. But you catch me, then, with a bright blue glance from your twilight eyes. My poetry falls to pieces.
You have turned my heart to a tinderbox, and kindled it with fairy fire.
All day I have watched you through the veil of the rain, and all day my love has grown. You, shining brighter in my sight than all the brash young highland lads who might have tried to catch my eye. You, so strong and so sure in your bearing that to watch you from across the field gave me shivers of pleasure, even in a warm noon dappled by the sun. You, who held my arm as we went, laughing, through the mud to the Maypole, where I followed the fluttering ribbons to your waiting gaze.
Wandering by the woods, you sang in your proud and lusty voice to set the forest rafters shaking. When your song was through, you drew me close beneath the branches and stole a secret kiss. You taste of May wine and wild clover, and your kisses are gentle as the rain. I sank into the warm dampness at your chest, held you fast, wishing only to remain in that hushed moment. Seconds raced by; voices called over the meadow, and we slipped away again.
My mouth has been dry all afternoon, thirsting for May wine and clover. As night enshrouds the hillside, I wrestle my unvoiced longing. I would take your hand and go with you over the dark horizon of the hedgerows, into the gloaming greenwood. I would bury my face again in the damp sweetness of your broad chest; would unbind my hair and let it tumble round you like a mantle for a king, a coronet of kisses on your brow. I would slake my thirst upon your lips, and sink to the warm earth by your side, and play your queen among the flowers til dawn came back again.
The scene paints itself, over and over, across the patterns of my waking dream. I can see you like a shadow by my side, melting into the dark of the wood, leaving the world outside to its bright festivities. We have halted at the border, caught in the trembling light that fades between these separate worlds.
A silence lay behind the veil of trees, but for the sound of your breath softly mingled with mine. The shadows shift around you, bringing you nearer. Your breath draws nearer, too. I become aware of its warmth just as I feel your fingers brush my cheek, tracing ever lightly over throat and collarbone to find the neckline of my chemise. Rough calluses stroke a line across the bare flesh there, as gently as an errant breeze might set a leaf to trembling. Your fingers find the lacings of my bodice. There, they pause.
My breathing might be heard to quicken, then; elsewise the dreaming silence is unbroken. I grasp your hand and press it to my heart, hold you there to feel its pounding, to voice consent where words begin to fail. You read it in my heart and in my eyes--your gaze is locked with mine for just a moment, then averted with a boyish smile. Tenderly, your hands progress, neither fumbling nor deft with haste. I find the tangle of your hair, and let my fingers grow enraptured by the contours of your face, by the broad slope of your shoulders. I would let them chart that holy land until I knew each path by heart, but you are set on explorations of your own.
Beneath your careful touch, the ribbons that bind me have fallen free. The dress slips from my shoulders and pools at my waist, bares me to the night for but a moment. Then you are all around me, likewise bared, the heat of your chest against my bosom, your arms encircling me completely--so completely--those rough hands gentle on my back, upholding, enfolding. The breath that teased a shiver from my skin now fulfills its promise, your lips against my throat, my neck, and every tender region left open to your lavish, unsparing kisses. Like fingers coaxing a tune from strings pulled taut, your mouth plucks a delicate gasp from every inch of flesh it covers. I rake my hands through your hair in mindless rapture, my body arcing to meet the insistent heat of your lips.
Warm hands travel down the curves of my stomach, sliding between bare thighs and gathered skirts. Your kisses trail behind, to cover slowly what your hands have stripped away, until at last you kneel before a girl as naked as a nymph in a painter's woodland fantasy. My eyes are fixed on you in wonder, on the scene of a man who holds my bare foot cupped between his hands, whose lips even now begin to retrace their journey. Breathless, I watch you drawing nearer, kiss by kiss, to the center of my body.
Just as you curl your fingers into mine, your mouth brushes that unguarded place; then at once you have claimed my sweetest aching, and a shudder and a dulcet cry send birds winging from the branches overhead. Dizzy with pleasure, I writhe in your grasp as you drink your fill, heedless of who or what might overhear.
When it seems I can take no more, you set down one final, tender kiss, then lower me in your arms to the downy carpet of the forest floor. I watch the lights dancing in your eyes, and my own flutter closed as we share a kiss as deep as dreaming. I taste May wine again, and wild clover, and the scent of my own desire tinged with yours. Your mouth is pressed to mine, intoxicating me, your hands roaming freely over every curve of my body as we embrace.
My arms encircling your exquisite form, I hold you tightly and feather my own soft kisses wherever they might touch. I have known no greater joy, in all my life, than the weight of your body enveloping me. The slightest shift and you are resting at my center, a baited breath, a perfect fit, on the brink of embracing our hearts' desire.
Your lips impart a thousand hushed adorations as you press against me, echoed in my almost desperate whisper, the words a flood of vast, unhindered love. Then all at once, a slow, deep stroke and you have filled me, have buried yourself in my warmth. I wrap you in my limbs, rising to meet you, kissing and sighing beneath your ear with a welcoming urgency. I could swear your body is melting into mine. A groan of pleasure spills from your lips; my tremulous cries are muffled as I bury my face in your shoulder, rocking in time with your long, unhurried movements.
As we move, a rush of thunder overtakes my heart, flooding my brain with its euphoric beat, rising with every plunge. You sink impossibly deeper, come impossibly closer to the core of my being, until I can sense that the same pounding thunder has stirred within us both. Its rhythm quickens, guiding our bodies to follow, increasingly fervent in their undeniable need to be not two, but one. The embrace grows tighter, the motions impassioned with hunger, until, at the moment our spirits touch, we cry out together in one wild voice. I cling to your body like a flower to the vine, naked limbs entwining, encased in the haze and heat of our shared ecstasy.
Your body continues to move with mine for long moments as the haze subsides. Even collapsing, we fall together, inseparably tangled, cooling ourselves with errant kisses and breathless flurries of tenderness. In the shelter of the trees, embracing still, we fall quiet. Nothing stirs but the breeze in our hair, and the faintest stroking of fingertips, caressing even now. My eyes grow heavy; a peaceful stillness comes as silence is restored to the wood.
We will sleep through the night in safety here, curled up together as though we were only two wild children, newly crowned on the eve of May, in a kingdom all our own.
Your fingers tighten over mine, now, as the bonfires ignite. Your eyes have not averted since they fixed me in their stare, long seconds ago. You stand so close. I blink away my reverie and search your face, wondering if I see the same desires there that must be written so shamelessly across my own. As the fire leaps and flares, I wonder how just how deeply you can see into my heart.
I begin to stammer an apology, an explanation, but a distant rumble breaks the silence and a patter of rain begins anew, just as your face breaks into a grin. My own smile follows naturally, of its own accord. You slip an arm around my waist, and swiftly kiss the dimpled corners of my mouth. This fond, familiar gesture cools the burning in my cheeks, and a different sort of warmth rushes in to replace it.
The rain comes steadily, but now we stand embracing, sheltered together under your heavy cloak. The soft scratch of your beard as you kiss my brow; the warm flood of contentment as you enfold me in your arms; the perfect compliment of form and shape when I nestle there, with my head resting beneath your chin--all of it recalls the ease and comfort of our closeness. I am reminded, suddenly, that we have been lovers for many a month.
The notion strikes me then, with another, secret smile. Have I truly spent the day with you in pining fascination, as if you were a stranger I had only just met? What could have gotten into me? The mischief of the Beltane moon, or some flight of girlish folly...
Yet, when your eyes meet mine again, my shiver of delight is unmistakable. It is not the strength of your arms alone that holds me, safe in the night as the rain falls all around. The warmest blue I've ever seen regards me without waver, and familiar lights seem laced with fairy fire.
It flickers strangely as you smile--and the pounding in my heart is thrice revived.
* * *
Night has come, on a gust of wet spring wind. The clouds rush off to carry the rain away, and stars emerge to pour their drops of fire on the Beltane bales. You are at my side as their earthward sparks ignite.
Your hand reaches for mine in the gathering dark, and I thrill beyond reason to that heat from the lightest joining of our fingers.
The glow spreads in warm rivulets, coursing through the tangled thicket of branches piled high on the hillside. You squeeze my hand, and heat rushes upward as the bonfire blooms.
From a hundred paces I feel it climb my neck and settle, burning, in my cheek. You move closer. My tongue trips in my mouth, until I wish I were more than a shy, bedraggled girl at a country bonfire. I would whisper a gift from the muses, and praise you with poetry; I would tell my esteem for this subtle command you keep of the heat in my blood. But you catch me, then, with a bright blue glance from your twilight eyes. My poetry falls to pieces.
You have turned my heart to a tinderbox, and kindled it with fairy fire.
All day I have watched you through the veil of the rain, and all day my love has grown. You, shining brighter in my sight than all the brash young highland lads who might have tried to catch my eye. You, so strong and so sure in your bearing that to watch you from across the field gave me shivers of pleasure, even in a warm noon dappled by the sun. You, who held my arm as we went, laughing, through the mud to the Maypole, where I followed the fluttering ribbons to your waiting gaze.
Wandering by the woods, you sang in your proud and lusty voice to set the forest rafters shaking. When your song was through, you drew me close beneath the branches and stole a secret kiss. You taste of May wine and wild clover, and your kisses are gentle as the rain. I sank into the warm dampness at your chest, held you fast, wishing only to remain in that hushed moment. Seconds raced by; voices called over the meadow, and we slipped away again.
My mouth has been dry all afternoon, thirsting for May wine and clover. As night enshrouds the hillside, I wrestle my unvoiced longing. I would take your hand and go with you over the dark horizon of the hedgerows, into the gloaming greenwood. I would bury my face again in the damp sweetness of your broad chest; would unbind my hair and let it tumble round you like a mantle for a king, a coronet of kisses on your brow. I would slake my thirst upon your lips, and sink to the warm earth by your side, and play your queen among the flowers til dawn came back again.
The scene paints itself, over and over, across the patterns of my waking dream. I can see you like a shadow by my side, melting into the dark of the wood, leaving the world outside to its bright festivities. We have halted at the border, caught in the trembling light that fades between these separate worlds.
A silence lay behind the veil of trees, but for the sound of your breath softly mingled with mine. The shadows shift around you, bringing you nearer. Your breath draws nearer, too. I become aware of its warmth just as I feel your fingers brush my cheek, tracing ever lightly over throat and collarbone to find the neckline of my chemise. Rough calluses stroke a line across the bare flesh there, as gently as an errant breeze might set a leaf to trembling. Your fingers find the lacings of my bodice. There, they pause.
My breathing might be heard to quicken, then; elsewise the dreaming silence is unbroken. I grasp your hand and press it to my heart, hold you there to feel its pounding, to voice consent where words begin to fail. You read it in my heart and in my eyes--your gaze is locked with mine for just a moment, then averted with a boyish smile. Tenderly, your hands progress, neither fumbling nor deft with haste. I find the tangle of your hair, and let my fingers grow enraptured by the contours of your face, by the broad slope of your shoulders. I would let them chart that holy land until I knew each path by heart, but you are set on explorations of your own.
Beneath your careful touch, the ribbons that bind me have fallen free. The dress slips from my shoulders and pools at my waist, bares me to the night for but a moment. Then you are all around me, likewise bared, the heat of your chest against my bosom, your arms encircling me completely--so completely--those rough hands gentle on my back, upholding, enfolding. The breath that teased a shiver from my skin now fulfills its promise, your lips against my throat, my neck, and every tender region left open to your lavish, unsparing kisses. Like fingers coaxing a tune from strings pulled taut, your mouth plucks a delicate gasp from every inch of flesh it covers. I rake my hands through your hair in mindless rapture, my body arcing to meet the insistent heat of your lips.
Warm hands travel down the curves of my stomach, sliding between bare thighs and gathered skirts. Your kisses trail behind, to cover slowly what your hands have stripped away, until at last you kneel before a girl as naked as a nymph in a painter's woodland fantasy. My eyes are fixed on you in wonder, on the scene of a man who holds my bare foot cupped between his hands, whose lips even now begin to retrace their journey. Breathless, I watch you drawing nearer, kiss by kiss, to the center of my body.
Just as you curl your fingers into mine, your mouth brushes that unguarded place; then at once you have claimed my sweetest aching, and a shudder and a dulcet cry send birds winging from the branches overhead. Dizzy with pleasure, I writhe in your grasp as you drink your fill, heedless of who or what might overhear.
When it seems I can take no more, you set down one final, tender kiss, then lower me in your arms to the downy carpet of the forest floor. I watch the lights dancing in your eyes, and my own flutter closed as we share a kiss as deep as dreaming. I taste May wine again, and wild clover, and the scent of my own desire tinged with yours. Your mouth is pressed to mine, intoxicating me, your hands roaming freely over every curve of my body as we embrace.
My arms encircling your exquisite form, I hold you tightly and feather my own soft kisses wherever they might touch. I have known no greater joy, in all my life, than the weight of your body enveloping me. The slightest shift and you are resting at my center, a baited breath, a perfect fit, on the brink of embracing our hearts' desire.
Your lips impart a thousand hushed adorations as you press against me, echoed in my almost desperate whisper, the words a flood of vast, unhindered love. Then all at once, a slow, deep stroke and you have filled me, have buried yourself in my warmth. I wrap you in my limbs, rising to meet you, kissing and sighing beneath your ear with a welcoming urgency. I could swear your body is melting into mine. A groan of pleasure spills from your lips; my tremulous cries are muffled as I bury my face in your shoulder, rocking in time with your long, unhurried movements.
As we move, a rush of thunder overtakes my heart, flooding my brain with its euphoric beat, rising with every plunge. You sink impossibly deeper, come impossibly closer to the core of my being, until I can sense that the same pounding thunder has stirred within us both. Its rhythm quickens, guiding our bodies to follow, increasingly fervent in their undeniable need to be not two, but one. The embrace grows tighter, the motions impassioned with hunger, until, at the moment our spirits touch, we cry out together in one wild voice. I cling to your body like a flower to the vine, naked limbs entwining, encased in the haze and heat of our shared ecstasy.
Your body continues to move with mine for long moments as the haze subsides. Even collapsing, we fall together, inseparably tangled, cooling ourselves with errant kisses and breathless flurries of tenderness. In the shelter of the trees, embracing still, we fall quiet. Nothing stirs but the breeze in our hair, and the faintest stroking of fingertips, caressing even now. My eyes grow heavy; a peaceful stillness comes as silence is restored to the wood.
We will sleep through the night in safety here, curled up together as though we were only two wild children, newly crowned on the eve of May, in a kingdom all our own.
Your fingers tighten over mine, now, as the bonfires ignite. Your eyes have not averted since they fixed me in their stare, long seconds ago. You stand so close. I blink away my reverie and search your face, wondering if I see the same desires there that must be written so shamelessly across my own. As the fire leaps and flares, I wonder how just how deeply you can see into my heart.
I begin to stammer an apology, an explanation, but a distant rumble breaks the silence and a patter of rain begins anew, just as your face breaks into a grin. My own smile follows naturally, of its own accord. You slip an arm around my waist, and swiftly kiss the dimpled corners of my mouth. This fond, familiar gesture cools the burning in my cheeks, and a different sort of warmth rushes in to replace it.
The rain comes steadily, but now we stand embracing, sheltered together under your heavy cloak. The soft scratch of your beard as you kiss my brow; the warm flood of contentment as you enfold me in your arms; the perfect compliment of form and shape when I nestle there, with my head resting beneath your chin--all of it recalls the ease and comfort of our closeness. I am reminded, suddenly, that we have been lovers for many a month.
The notion strikes me then, with another, secret smile. Have I truly spent the day with you in pining fascination, as if you were a stranger I had only just met? What could have gotten into me? The mischief of the Beltane moon, or some flight of girlish folly...
Yet, when your eyes meet mine again, my shiver of delight is unmistakable. It is not the strength of your arms alone that holds me, safe in the night as the rain falls all around. The warmest blue I've ever seen regards me without waver, and familiar lights seem laced with fairy fire.
It flickers strangely as you smile--and the pounding in my heart is thrice revived.

2 Comments:
=)
Summer...beautiful...I have no words...so I'll just use yours =D
-"I would bury my face again in the damp sweetness of your broad chest; would unbind my hair and let it tumble round you like a mantle for a king, a coronet of kisses on your brow"; "Rough calluses stroke a line across the bare flesh there, as gently as an errant breeze might set a leaf to trembling"; "I cling to your body like a flower to the vine, naked limbs entwining..." Loved it.
Post a Comment
<< Home