Saturday, September 16, 2006

When Freya Calls Your Name (now with audio!)

Here's the song I sent to Jake back when the group was just getting started. I've been meaning to repost it, but I wanted to wait until I had the audio to go with it. And now I do. Thank you for Odeo, Max.

Special thanks for this one goes to Duchess Willow DeWisp, who was the first Queen of Ansteorra and who still attends bardic circles every month out here. After hearing my "Northman's Prayer," which is about warriors going to Valhalla, she asked me to write a piece about the lesser-known other half... the fallen warriors who are chosen by Freya, and reunited in Folkvang with their loved ones. This is what I got. I'm really happy with it.


powered by ODEO

When Freya Calls Your Name

Lay by me, now, my love,
The night grows pale
You'll ride the waves at dawn
'Neath billowed sail

You spoke of warrior's wyrd
Of battle's brand
And I shall do my best
To understand

And when you see the north star shine tonight
The longfire will be burning bright
To warm these halls with steady, waiting flame
For you must be strong when Freya calls your name.

Come, let me braid your hair
And gird your gentle arms
I'll paint your shield with signs
To keep you safe from harm

And may your step be strong,
Your blade be true;
Go now, and all my heart
Goes forth with you

And when you see the north star shine tonight,
The longfire will be burning bright
To warm these halls with steady, waiting flame
Or to guide you home, should Freya call your name

Through mighty battle's roar,
If you should fall
Take heed, and you shall hear
Her distant call

To fields where warriors rest
At journey's end;
No sorrow then you'll know
Nor bitter tears I'll spend

And if you see the north star shine that night
Still the longfire will be burning bright
And through the dawn I'll keep that faithful flame,
And I'll be strong 'til Freya calls my name
For it's soon, I know, that she will call my name

And when you see the north star shine tonight
The longfire will be burning bright
To warm these halls with steady, waiting flame
And to guide us home, when she has called our names.

2 Comments:

Blogger DeadLanguage said...

I feel boring, always singing the same praise for your work. It's beautiful, Summer. I can't imagine that you ever expect to hear different. The words you sing, and the tune you put them to, are absolutely spellbinding. I love your music.

I just love it.

8:56 PM  
Blogger MythWind said...

God Damn, Summer. You just can't stop cranking out superb material. No wonder our muse is always to tired. I'm glad Max found Odeo, there is imagery in this song I didn't really envision until I heard it. I don't know how you do it, but you have this power in almost every song of yours, that as you get to the last line of your chorus or even some of the stanzas, I can't help but cringe a little to hold back tears. You always bring me to that emotional level. Love the subject matter. I really want you to post Norse Prayer, just so I can listen to it to my heart's content, and also so Max and I can start working out Metal riffs and deep harmonies to it, and send them to you, so that you can sing over it, and thus brith the first spawn of the Metallic Monster known only as...
THE WORLD BEATER COMPLEX

2:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home