Poem
Ahem:
Where's your confidence now, boy?
Where's your confidence now?
"The Sand Man came and took it away,
Now I loathe to lay me down.
He huffed it away with bittersweet words,
His breath was icy and cold,"
Where's your confidence now, boy,
While the sheets of ice doth mold?
What say you of Prometheus, boy,
For whom all hope is dry?
"I say his lot is woven,
With the serpent in the sky.
He wakes his eyes each day in vain,
His daydreams as a sieve."
Dreams as such should well be marked, boy, for I tell you:
Prometheus lives.
Where's your confidence now, boy?
Where's your confidence now?
When the frozen ice bleeds away,
Where will it be found?
"Little hope do I have now,
Upon this windless sea.
The sun is sinking and sunset sets,
And Fate is calling me.
And now hope is waning, and now it is dark,
And dark is all I see.
So bring me my horse, good king Theoden,
And let me ride with thee."
Where's your confidence now, boy?
Where's your confidence now?
"The Sand Man came and took it away,
Now I loathe to lay me down.
He huffed it away with bittersweet words,
His breath was icy and cold,"
Where's your confidence now, boy,
While the sheets of ice doth mold?
What say you of Prometheus, boy,
For whom all hope is dry?
"I say his lot is woven,
With the serpent in the sky.
He wakes his eyes each day in vain,
His daydreams as a sieve."
Dreams as such should well be marked, boy, for I tell you:
Prometheus lives.
Where's your confidence now, boy?
Where's your confidence now?
When the frozen ice bleeds away,
Where will it be found?
"Little hope do I have now,
Upon this windless sea.
The sun is sinking and sunset sets,
And Fate is calling me.
And now hope is waning, and now it is dark,
And dark is all I see.
So bring me my horse, good king Theoden,
And let me ride with thee."

4 Comments:
Upon a second reading, this smacks of a less surreal Jabberwocky. Carol anchored in reality, somehow. Perhaps only because of the varied and seemingly threadless imagery. I like the repetitive cadence... something that's always appealed to me. Well done.
I as well think you did a real good job Sean. I especially like the last stanze, and it all reminds me somehow of the kind of thing one would find in The Gunslinger Books by Stephen King. It might be the varied imagery MAx mentioned, who knows?
I had to read this twice, because the first time I got so easily sucked into following the rhythm of the piece that I barely noticed the words themselves. That's not a bad thing. The rhythmic cadences and repetition here are great--they give the sound of the poem a very definite structure, but not one that's numbingly obvious, because of the little variations you've thrown in.
I wasn't quite sure what was going on for the first two stanzas, but the third kind of pulls it together. And, in a way, that adds to the strength of the poem--it keeps with the fleeting imagery, and the sense that you can't quite grasp the words as they trip along through your brain, almost like a riddle.
Awesome mix of references, and very emotion evoking imagery. I've read this several times and am able to slowly glean more from it everytime I read it. The cadence and alternating voices are great devices, definately lyrical, but definately a poem. I love how the the theme bleeds through every line.
Post a Comment
<< Home